November 7, 2011

This past year

Looking back over the past year is very interesting for me. It was a month ago that I received my EA degree. During the past 12 months I have learned a ton about masonry and have grown much as a man. My wife has even noticed a big difference in me over this last year and our relationship is better than ever. It was said to me that you get out of masonry what you put into it. That is certainly true. Is freemasonry perfect? I believe that it is. It is the humans that get in the way.

I have enjoyed serving this past year as steward and have gained much from that experience. I was appointed tonight as Senior Deacon for the next year. What a great honor and humbling experience. That is a great honor to me and I only hope I can serve my lodge well. Attending the Grand Lodge session as a proxy was one of the highlights of the year for me. I was able to understand more of how freemasonry worked by doing so. It was also voted on tonight for the lodge to send me to Wilkerson College which is a school for deacons to prepare them for their year in the east.

This coming week we have the Scottish Rite meeting where we have a ring ceremony and elections. I have turned in my petition to the Knight of St Andrews which is a service unit within the Scottish Rite. I should be receiving that sometime this month as well. I have completed the Master Craftsman I program and would recommend it to anyone that goes through the Scottish Rite degrees. It brings a perspective and understanding to the degrees that you do not get at the reunions. I have also been fortunate to participate in a degree day during the early summer for a club doing the 17th and 18th degrees. During the fall reunion I was able to help with the 17th, 18th, 24th, and 26th degrees.

What a great experience this past year has been. I hope to stay active and learn as much during the upcoming years as I have this one. I am very honored to have been able to join such a fraternity of great men. I only hope that I can give back just a fraction of what the craft has already given to me. Thank you all for making this a great year. I look forward to many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment