December 16, 2010

EA memory work

Once you become an entered apprentice you must show proficiency in the degree by repeating back the memory work. The day after I received the Entered Apprentice I met with my coach and spent time working on the memory work. There is a lot to memorize and at first it seemed overwhelming. Over the next 4 weeks I worked with my coach as much as I could to not only memorize the work, but to understand what it meant.

One of the neatest things that I have found in masonry so far is that there is not one single person that speaks for masonry as a whole. Therefore it is up to each individual to interpret the meaning of certain things for themselves. What I get out of masonry will be different than what someone else does.

After spending about 12 or so hours working with my coach I was finally ready to prove my proficiency . Looking back on the experience, one of the things that helped me most was actually watching another EA degree. This allowed me to sit in the lodge from the beginning to the end and see what it was that I did from a completely different perspective. That experience alone made a lot of what was going on make a lot more sense to me.

On the night of 12/13/2010 myself and 2 other entered apprentices proved ourselves by answering the series of questions in an open lodge. Now comes the time to become a fellow craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment