December 16, 2010

petitioning the lodge

As I stated in my previous post, I had started examining the possibility of joining freemasonry. I had done a ton of research and had emailed a local lodge. I received a reply back from the secretary of the local lodge and was invited to come down and talk to him the next day. I went and met with him and there were a couple of other people there as well. They gave me a short tour of the building, including the lodge room, and answered my questions. At the end of the meeting they gave me a petition (application) and told me to fill it out and return it if I was interested in joining. There was going to be a meeting that night and if I turned it in before the meeting they would submit it then. I was not completely sure if I was ready to submit it that quick so I took it home and thought about it for a while. I went ahead and filled out the petition and finished my work that afternoon. I ended up taking it back that night to have it read because I was told that it could not be voted on till the meeting 2 months away. There is a rule in NC that a petition cannot be voted on till after 28 days after it is read in an open lodge. This lodge meets the first Monday of every month normally but since Labor Day was that day they held off meeting till the second Monday. That did not give enough time to pass before the next meeting. I figured I could always withdrawal my petition if I found out something I could not agree with.

The only thing that I did not fill out on the petition was the spot for someone to recommend me. I needed 2 people that were members of that lodge to sign for me and everyone that I knew were actually members of another lodge further away than I wanted to go. The day after the meeting I got a call that told me there was someone there that knew me from my church whom I had no idea was a mason and he signed my petition for me. Now I just had to wait almost 2 months before I found out what was going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment