May 20, 2011

Why are we here?

Why are we here? More specifically, why did we join freemasonry? What is the motivation that drew us to freemasonry? For some it is creating friendships with a group of men. For others it might be family tradition. Some might even see it as a way to help their business or job. Still others might have joined to help make themselves a better man, husband, and father. And for others it might be some link to the more esoteric side such as alchemy, hermeticism, or kabbalah. Each of us joined freemasonery for our on personal reasons.

This simple question may well be one of the most important we ask ourselves. We need to look deeply within our own person and honestly ask why we joined this society. Is it what we expected it would be? Has our initial impression of it changed? Have we changed?

I know that I have started to actively change the way that I see things and my behavior. I have become a more patient person when dealing with others. I still have a long way to go with that aspect. Freemasonry has allowed me to look at what I value most in my life in a more detailed level. I am still very much a rough ashlar that is working on smoothing myself out. It is going to be a life long journey.

Is freemasonry what I expected? To be honest, I would have to say yes and no. I am not completely sure what I expected when I joined. I did not know anyone to be a mason. After I joined, I found out that there were quite a few people that I knew were masons. I did not know what they did or what happened in lodge. I had done research before petitioning, but there was still some mischaracterizations. What I found was a great group of men that cared for each other and helped each other and the community.

There is a common definition that all of us have probably heard multiple times. Freemasonry is ‘a system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols’. It is a group of men that meet and are based on the three principle tenets of  brotherly love, relief and truth. We follow the virtues of faith hope and charity. All of freemasonry is supported on the three great pillars of wisdom, strength and beauty. There is a lot more to it than that as well. There is the beautiful ritual. Within it, the lessons of morality are taught.

Have my views of freemasonry changed? For sure. It is a lot more involved than what I first believed. It is not just a group of guys that meet and talk. They are involved in actually trying to make men better and help the community. One wise man told me that you get out of freemasonry what you put into it. If you are looking for a group of friends, it is there. If you are looking for a way to support charity, it is there. If you are looking to carry a card and not do much, you can do that as well. If you are looking to grow into a better husband, father, and man, the tools are given to you in freemasonry. If you are looking for esoteric meaning and philosophical thought, it is there.

What I am trying to say is that Freemasonry is a lot of things. What one man receives might be something completely different that another. Each of us gets out of it what we want. We can be as involved as we want or not. It is up to the individual. I tend to think that you should be involved to the best of your ability if you are able.

If you are a Freemason, I encourage you to honestly answer these questions to yourself.
Why did we become a Freemason?
Is it what we expected?
Has our impression of freemasonry changed?
Have we changed?
Why are we a Freemason?

If you are thinking of petitioning a lodge, research what freemasonry is. Talk to people that are masons. Call a local lodge and schedule a visit. Ask questions. Most of all, keep your mind open. There is a lot of false information out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment