May 14, 2011

Scottish Rite meeting

This past Thursday night I was able to attend my first Scottish Rite meeting. It was very interesting to see the ritual done. It is similar but different to that of the blue lodge.

We had a class for the Master Craftsman program before the meal and it was very interesting. I would highly recommend this program to any member of the Scottish Rite. We spent about 40 minutes going over a powerpoint presentation on the history of freemasonry and the Scottish Rite.  It was very interesting and informative. The more I learn about the history and ritual, the more interested I get.

We had a meal with the brethren of the lodge and it was a great time of fellowship. I got to spend some time with brothers from my class and exchange notes of what we have experienced. There were 2 of us in my class that attended a "Friends Dinner and Auction" put on by our valley the prior weekend. I did pick up a beautiful 14k white gold ring there but was outbid on some other things.

I am considering becoming a member of the Knights of St. Andrews. This is a group within the Scottish Rite that helps out a lot. They basically do the meals and cleanup for each meeting. They also help out with the reunions and degree work. This would be an opportunity to serve and help out. I live less than a mile from the lodge building and can do things there that some of the brothers that live further away can not. I am not sure yet if I am going to join now or wait a while. Either way, I would be doing many of the same things anyway so it will not add much to my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment