March 27, 2011

Scottish Rite

I went ahead and put in a petition to the Scottish Rite. The Scottish Rite is what is called an apendent body of Freemasonry and is the second largest group in the US. There are approxamently 1.4 million freemasons in the US and of those 550,000 are also Scottish Rite masons. The Scottish Rite confers the 4th through 32nd degrees. If accepted, I will receive the degrees in what tey call a reunion. The reunion will be held on the 9th and 16th of April from 7:30 in the morning till about 5:00 each evening. There is not any memory work involved in receiving the degrees.

The degrees are NOT above the third degree. The Master Mason degree (the 3rd degree) is the highest degree in masonry. Everything else is considered a side degree. This is a fact that confuses many because they see a higher number. How it has been explained to me is that the Scottish Rite degrees just expand on the 3rd degree.

I was a little concerned about putting in the petition so soon after being raised. I do want to learn as much as I can in the blue lodge. I have a very strong connection to my blue lodge and that is my first house. Anything else is just an  extension of that lodge. After reading many post in online forums as well as talking to other Brothers I feel like it would be a great experience to help me increase my knowledge. I can be as active as my time will allow and plan on concentrating on the blue lodge right now. I want to learn as much as I can but do want to spend the time getting down the blue lodge as much as I can. I see the SR as a place to expand my knowledge for now and become more active as time will allow later.

I will be giving back my third degree catechism before that in my mother lodge. I am ready for that. It will give me the option of taking a chair in the future. I hope I can go through the chairs in the blue lodge. Everything in masonry connects back to the blue lodge and we should do whatever we can to support it. This journey has already made me a better man. I hope that I can continue to grow. This has been a great honor that I just hope that I can give back a small amount of what I have received. Freemasonry is an organization that is nothing but honorable.

2 comments:

  1. Brother Jay,

    I applaud you going through the sides of the compass in search of more light.

    But let me ask you this:

    Do you feel as if you're going too far too fast? Or if when you are in the Consistory you will be able to manage your time with the blue lodge? Esp as you have stated it is the foundation of our craft, and brothers who have been affiliated with the appendant bodies can easily lose membership in those bodies as soon as they are dropped from the blue house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Caution I am sorry it took me a while to respond. I did not see this till today.

    I was wondering the going to far to fast myself. I have talked to a lot of brothers here that are in both and was advised to wait, do it now, and everything in between. It is something I have given a lot of thought to. The blue lodge is the most important to me and I am going to do all that I can in it. The Scottish Rite is just an aid right now for me to learn more. I will not take a position in the SR until after I am WM of my blue lodge if I am so honored.

    I have been through the first day and next week I will go through th rest. I can tell you that it is a little overwhelming. I am glad that there is a week break in between the 2 days. It gives me time to reflect on the first part before I attend the second.

    A person's membership in any appendant body is dependent on their membership in the blue lodge. By that I mean if for any reason your membership in your blue lodge is dropped, so are any appendant body memberships.

    ReplyDelete